Thursday, November 17, 2011

I Was Hit By A Semi

HIT BY A SEMI
by Dennis Ginoza November 3, 2011

As they say, “There is always a first time for everything.”

It was about 5:20 p.m., November 2. On highway 15, traffic was moving northward from Escondido toward Fallbrook and Temecula. All the vehicles came to a crawl. Although we could not see, it appeared that there was an accident up ahead.

With the traffic so bad, I decided I would make an earlier exit at Old 395 rather than the 76 exit to get home to Fallbrook. I was in the far right lane. We were moving slowly, maybe about 2 or 3 miles per hour.

All of a sudden: BOOM! A semi truck rear ended my 2007 Camry. I couldn’t believe it. It was a jolt, but the impact was not cause for injury. Luckily we weren’t moving at rapid speed.

I pulled off to the shoulder. So did the semi. I got out. The driver got out. I said to him, “You weren’t paying attention, were you?” I added, “You were on your cell phone, weren’t you?” “Yes,” he nodded.

I proceeded to call 911 for a report. Then I couldn’t get through.

I must say, however, the driver was cooperative. He showed me his driver’s license and documents. I got the information I needed. He was from Norman, Oklahoma.

Then I got on my soap box. I said to him, “You should never use the cell phone driving again. First of all, it is against the law in California.” Then I went on, “Just think, you could’ve killed someone and you would be put in jail.” I asked, “You have a family, don’t you?” “Yes,” nodded. Then, I said, “You would lose your job!” “Don’t ever use the cell phone while driving!” He listened and I could see remorse on his face.

Then we proceeded on our way. The traffic was so bad, it took me about an hour and a half to get home. This is usually a 35 minute trip. I learned from my neighbor that the accident up ahead was a jack knifed military truck.

One of the first questions I was asked by the insurance company, “Are you okay?” Then, “You were wearing your seat belt, weren’t you?” I was and I always do.

Ironically, for the past three months, my wife and I have traveled over 12,000 miles by van to such cities as Denver, Omaha, Chicago, Cincinnati, Lexington, St. Louis, Helena, Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, without incident. They say, most accidents occur close to home.

Some thoughts.
*Always leave some space between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you while
driving on the freeway. (I was hit, but did not hit the vehicle ahead of me.)
*Do not use the cell phone while driving. Many accidents today are caused by cell phone use.
*Always wear the seat belt. Under every circumstance.
*You can be a careful driver, but then, you don’t have control over someone else’s driving.
Nevertheless, be as careful as you can.
*When examining the damage on a vehicle, do it several times. Under stress, there are things
you will not see. The next day, I found further damage I didn’t see at first.
*Do not take a chance by not having insurance coverage. Just one time can break you.
*When tired or sleepy, don’t take a chance, get off the road and rest, have a cup of coffee,
or simply, take a walk. Best yet, have someone else take over driving.

“Life is too precious to take a chance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment